The State Office for Nuclear Safety is the central authority of state administration responsible for exercise of regulatory activities in the peaceful utilisation of nuclear energy and ionizing radiation and in the field of non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction.
The State Office for Nuclear Safety (hereinafter referred to as “the Office”) is headed by a Chairperson appointed and recalled by the Government of the Czech Republic. The Office has an autonomous budget and reports directly to the Government of the Czech Republic.
Based on the Act No. 263/2016 Coll., the Atomic Act, the Act No. 19/1997 Coll., and the Act No. 281/2002 Coll., the Office carries out the competence of the state. Following activities fall within its scope:
- Exercise of state administration and surveillance in the field of nuclear security, radiation protection, monitoring of the radiation situation, radiation extraordinary event management, security and non-proliferation of nuclear weapons;
- Authorization of activities performed in accordance with the Atomic Act, e.g. siting and operation of nuclear facilities and workplaces with very significant sources of ionizing radiation, ionizing radiation sources and radioactive waste management, radioactive material and radionuclide sources transportation;
- Approval of documentation relating to ensuring nuclear safety, radiation protection, monitoring of the radiation situation, radiation extraordinary event management, security and non-proliferation of nuclear weapons, limits and conditions of nuclear facilities operation, emergency regulations for nuclear materials and selected radionuclide sources transportation, on-site emergency plans of nuclear facilities and workplaces with sources of ionizing radiation;
- Laying down the conditions and requirements for radiation protection of residents and workers with ionizing radiation sources (e.g. determination of radiation limits, delimitation of controlled zones), determination of emergency planning zone and requirements for radiation extraordinary event management by permit holders according to the Atomic Act;
- Monitoring, assessment and control of personal exposure including exposure to radon and other natural sources of ionizing radiation;
- Control of activities of the radiation monitoring network (RMS) in the territory of the Czech Republic and ensuring the international exchange of data on the radiation situation;
- Managing the state system of registration and control of nuclear materials, state systems of registration of license holders, import and export of selected items, ionizing radiation sources, registration of occupational and population exposure;
- Ensuring cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency;
- Provision of information in the field of radioactive waste management and reporting on its activities to the public and to the Government of the Czech Republic;
- Provision of data on measurement and assessment of the effects of radioactive materials, chemicals and biological substances on humans and the environment, including the assessment of the level of protection of individual and collective protection equipment against these materials;
- Coordinating and managing activities in guaranteeing obligations resulting from the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC, website) Biological Weapons Convention (BWC). The Office carries out the function of state surveillance over the measures related to the prohibition of chemical weapons in accordance with the Act No. 19/1997 Coll. And over the measures related to the prohibition of biological weapons in accordance with the Act No. 281/2002 Coll. (Biological Act).
- Exercising the competence of national authority under the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty, the Bacteriological (Biological) and Toxin Weapons Convention and the Convention on the Prohibition of the Development, Production, Stockpiling and Use of Chemical Weapons and on Their Destruction.
In accordance with its competences and activities performed, the Office is divided into 3 sections:
- Nuclear Safety Section
- Radiation Protection Section
- Management & Technical Support Section
Nuclear Safety Section
- consists of the Nuclear Installation Inspection Department, the Nuclear Safety Assessment Department and the Spent Fuel and Radwaste Management Division.
Radiation Protection Section
- consists of the Radiation Sources Department, the Exposure Regulation Department, the Radiation Protection of Fuel Cycle Department and the Monitoring and Crisis Management Division.
Management & Technical Support Section
- consists of the Office Bureau, the Economic Department, the Non-Proliferation Department and the Legal Division, the International Cooperation Division, the IT and Record Management System Division and the Strategy Division.
The Internal Auditor and the Director for Security are directly subordinate to the Chairperson.
Part of the Office are Regional Centres in Prague, Plzeň, České Budějovice, Ústí nad Labem, Hradec Králové, Brno, Kamenná and Ostrava, and two Site Inspectors Division at Temelín NPP and Dukovany NPP.
The Office is the founder of two public research institutions - Státní ústav radiační ochrany, v.v.i. (National Radiation Protection Institute) seated in Prague, and Státní ústav jaderné, chemické a biologické ochrany, v.v.i. (National Institute for Nuclear, Chemical and Biological Protection) seated in Příbram - Kamenná.